The Post-Op…

So, the surgery was successful… Yipee!

After 30 minutes of posting the previous blog, the nurse called me and told me that I am needed in the OR… I was anxious because no further information was given. I was only told that the surgeon was requesting me in the operating room.

Closing my laptop and getting my bag, I went back to the fifth floor at the Ophthalmology operating room. I was given a set of scrub suit and quickly changed into it, then I was led to the waiting area beside the recovery room. There were two other patients there waiting for their turn for cataract removal, too, if I understood their conversation properly. The guy asked me if I was going in for surgery as well and I told him that my baby was in the OR for cataract removal, too. The old lady in the room was surprised and said that she never knew that there are inborn cataract cases. A few minutes more of trivial conversation, we heard a baby cry. The guy said, “that must be your baby.” Well, it was not really a cry. It was more of a yell. LOL! So I said yes, that’s him.

The OR staff who was carrying my son peeked in the room and asked for me. After they set up the bed at the recovery area, he laid my baby there who was then yelling the room walls down. He was not calming down at first until one other OR staff asked if I brought a pacifier. I just then realized that I had it in the small bag that I gave them. Yeah, forgetful me. Haha! He calmed down after that. The anesthesiologist came in and was looking at my baby, amazed at how the IV line was inserted given that my little warrior is very chubby. His surgeon and a lot of the OR staff were actually surprised to know that my baby is just 3.5 months old. I was told that he looked about 6 months old. Well, his weight is within normal range for his age but his length is within the range of a 5-6 months old baby. 😛

my little cyclops
my little cyclops

We stayed in the recovery room for about 3 hours more until we got the orders from the doctors that he can go back to his room. Little Z was transported back to his room using the stretcher because all of the wheelchairs were currently out. Two women staff wanted to come with Z back in his room but they cannot go beyond the OR room (else they have to change their scrub suits). They were fascinated with little Z because they said my baby was very cute and very chubby that they actually started tickling his feet just to get a reaction out of my groggy little warrior. 😛 And those two female OR staffs were pretty, too. Looks like my baby boy’s starting to become a chick magnet… Oh no!!

recovering from surgery and from yelling the recovery room down
recovering from surgery and from yelling the recovery room down

Getting back in the room, my very famished little growing boy started downing 4-6 ounces of milk almost every hour. His last feeding was about 2:30 AM and was not allowed to feed starting 5AM in preparation for the 9AM surgery.

I was so glad to hear from his surgeon that the surgery went a lot better than expected. During the initial eye ultrasound, they found a mass blocking my baby’s visual pathway on both eyes. However, during surgery, they found out that both inner eyes were clear and quiet. Meaning, there was no mass blocking the pathways anymore. That would mean that visual rehabilitation will be a lot easier than anticipated. I felt like a big load was taken off my shoulders from hearing that news.

My little warrior is now back in his usual playful self. Looks like the effects of the anesthesia has already been flushed out of his body. We retained his eye shield even if the doctor said it is OK to remove it since my baby loves to rub his face and he might scratch his eyes. He will have another follow up check up this Friday with his ophthalmologist and with his general pedia. He will eventually be wearing glasses and I am hoping that he will be fitted for one by Friday. Since my baby is going home with my Mom on Saturday for the holidays (I will be following them home after I clean up my apartment first), I think we will have his glasses by January for the start of his regular ophtha check up.

the little boy is up and about
the little boy is up and about
and he started eating his IV line again
and he started eating his IV line again
recovered and back to being playful
recovered and back to being playful
"Mum, can I take this off now?"
“Mum, can I take this off now?”
and he started smiling again
and he started smiling again

So, with that said, I am ecstatic that all efforts – from sleepless days for scheduled check ups and labworks – led to a very successful operation. My son may have to wear glasses forever but at least he can now see relatively clearly compared to just shadows. I am excited for him to see the Christmas lights at night (I even have to set up his own Christmas tree here in my apartment just so he can start observing the blinking lights). He can now start seeing all the colorful things around him and most of all, he would now be able to clearly see me. <3 <3 <3

I would like to thank little Z’s doctors for all the consultations, clearances, prayers and expertise in making sure that this very big road block is cleared from our journey together:

Dr. Janis Palaganas – my OB-GYNE for referring me to a pediatrician and ophthalmologist here in Manila

Dr. Remy Tan-Bumanlag – referred general pediatrician who is looking after my son’s health here in Manila (my son has another pediatrician back home) and who has given referrals to other specialists who needed to look after my son

Dr. Joan Loy – the first ophthalmologist who checked my son’s eyes and who referred us to a pedia-ophthal for a more specialized care

Dr. Jose Robles – pedia-neurologist; who checked my baby’s nerve activities and gave the clearance that all is clear for surgery from his end

Dr. Helen David-Aragones – pedia-cardiologist; who ensured that my son’s heart will be able to handle surgery

Dr. Pauline Santiago – referred pedia-ophthalmologist who handled the lens extraction surgery and will be working on my son’s visual rehab from now on

Dr. Marion Sanchez – pedia-pulmonologist who cleared Z’s respiratory functions for surgery

Dr. Sylvia Acosta – pedia-anesthesiologist for taking care of my son as well during operation

And to all the St. Luke’s Medical Center QC nurses and staff for making little Z’s two-day hospital stint comfortable and hassle-free.

Oh and of course, to my HMO for the huggable bear. 😛

2013-12-18 02.36.25



You may also like

No Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.